So I have been a little MIA lately but this weather and getting dark so soon had had me in a funk. Never the less, Sunday we went to a friends house and carved pumpkins. These people love their carving time so it wasn’t your traditional pumpkins. I decided to step up my game this year and try the dog. K didn’t want to bother with a pattern so he free handed a tractor! It turned out so good 🙂
The Country Wife
So during my BeachBody challenge besides doing awesome Turbo Jam, I am trying my best to eat healthier options. I am trying my hardest to make this a lifestyle change, not just another diet. Thankfully I have an awesome support system! Yesterday, while K was in the field, I decided to try making quinoa. Did I mention this bag of quinoa has been in my cupboard for almost a month! Yup that’s right, I bought it but then never got the courage to make it.
I’m so glad I made the jump to try it! Its so good! I made it with chicken stock instead of water for extra flavor. I then added in onions and red pepper. Oh and a little turkey and part-skim mozzarella for flavor too! Yummy!! P.s…google quinoa to find out more about it! Its a really good super food!
The Country Wife
Last week our house was being overtaken by gnats…yuck! I’d like to think it was all because we just live in an old house with old pipes (my mother said growing up our old farmhouse did that too); but I know part of the problem was my 6 bananas that were turning brown. In an effort to get rid of the gnats I did some late Friday evening baking. *Warning: Do not Bake at night unless you are really awake!*
Back in college my Grandma S. gave me one of the easiest recipes ever: Banana Apple Muffins. Friday night, knowing I had to use all my bananas I made two varieties of the recipe. First was the original recipe and second I used whole wheat flour. This is really so easy that anyone can make these! It would even be a good recipe to have kids help you with or for anyone who wants to get into baking. The recipe below is for the whole wheat version, mainly because they turned out the best! *Warning: Do not forget the baking soda!!*
Whole Wheat Apple Banana Muffins
1 Stick Butter
1 Cup sugar
3 Ripe Bananas – Mashed
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 Apple – Cubed
Cream together the butter, egg and sugar. Next add in mashed bananas. Mix in the dry ingredients until fully blended. Fold in the cubed apples. Line or spray muffin tin and fill 3/4 of the way full with mixture. For a special touch, sprinkle a little sugar on the top of the muffins. Then bake for 30-35 minutes in 350 degree oven.
A few notes about this recipe:
- I like my apple chunks to be a little on the big side so you can actually taste the apple. The first time I made this recipe I could hardly taste the apples!
- If you don’t like whole wheat flour, just use 2 cups regular flour.
- Using an ice cream scoop makes getting even sized muffins a lot easier.
- Baking time is dependent on your oven. Just be sure to check a muffin with a toothpick- if it comes out clean, they’re done!
- Oh, don’t forget the baking soda…or else your muffins turn out to be albino paper weight muffins! Oops! A downside to late night baking 🙂
Enjoy and I hope you all try to make these super easy muffins! Let me know if you tried something different: Flax Seed? Different Fruit? Less butter? Splenda? Whatever the change, I would love to hear how they turned out!
The Country Wife
Oh Monday, how I was not looking forward to your return.I don’t know a single person who was looking forward to the weekend being over. For one, I could have used another nights sleep to make up for my busy weekend. If we are Facebook friends, you know that I was busy quilting this weekend and if you saw my previous post from this weekend, you know I was up early. 5:30 on a Saturday morning early!! It was nice to spend Friday evening relaxing at home, but after that it was go, go, go.
Driving home Saturday wasn’t too bad; I got my coffee, saw the sunrise and made great time because no one else was up. The worst part? Not getting to stop at my favorite little Amish store. Its a bulk dry goods store, but also has sweet treats, cheese, meat, and a lot of neat gifts. I love stopping there and try to every time we go home; however they don’t open until 8. I was there well before 8 and didn’t want to wait…oh well, there is always next time.
Our Saturday sewing adventure was a blast! We got to walk through the fabric shop and pick out which patterns/colors we wanted for our quilts. Then went to the back and began cutting…Luckily before we cut too much, we figured out we were reading directions wrong. Note to self: Always double read directions when cutting fabric! Below is a picture of my almost finished quilt. I just need to fray all the seams and sew on Frosty’s facial features.
Did anyone else get some good sewing in? Or work on other projects this weekend? I would love to hear what you accomplished. 🙂 I hope everyone had a great Monday, and I know as soon as I am done eating and gone to the grocery I will come home and take a nap…which makes my Monday great!
The Country Wife
The sunrise this morning was too beautiful not to share! I love the free art gallery that God provides us. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! The Country Wife
TGIF!! Was it me or did this week seem like it took forever to get to Friday?! It was a fairly productive week at work and at home but it took longer than I would like. Yea, yea, I know it sounds crazy since every week is the same amount of time but I’m telling ya this one seemed longer. I’m really excited for this weekend because I am headed north to spend some time with my momma and god mother.
We are going to be sewing a rag snowman quilt at this awesome little quilt shop, Little Touch of Heaven. The owner of the shop is the mother of a girl I grew up with in 4-H. She started this shop after her daughter and father passed away. She realized that quilting was her was of coping with these tragedies and wanted to share this passion with others. If you are ever in Wayne, Ohio be sure to stop and check out this shop. It has been a place where my family has been to many times…and spent lots of money!
Anyways, below is a quick recap of my highs for the week! Enjoy 🙂
1. Success At Work – This week I was proud of myself for tackling a program at work and finally being able to run analysis on my own. Thankfully my boss was also pleasantly surprised with this too!
2. Harvest- Like I said in my earlier post; I love harvest! I think its a wonderful way to connect with family and work together for a common goal. I love that I am getting to share in this more with my new family and hope that I can contribute a little more in the future!
3. Trash – This week, after a productive start to my week at work, I wanted to bring that energy home. I did and successfully burned 3 loads of “junk” from our basement. Most of it was stuff from the previous owner, stuff the dog tore up and old/holey clothing. In my head I was thinking I should save the old clothes and do something with them (stuff a dog bed?) but I decided to just get rid of them. It was the right decision and made me feel better!
4. Feng Shui – So I don’t know the technical details of this ancient Chinese practice, but I did rearrange our bedroom and I think it made a huge difference. We have a very small bedroom and our queen size beds seems to fill most of it. I feel like I finally found a great way to utilize our space…that is until I stub my toe walking between the bed and dresser (its a whole FOOT apart). But for now I like it! I also have a few projects to spruce the space up too! Coming soon…
5. Challenge – Next week I am starting a BeachBody Challenge with my wonderful friends Kirsta and Kelly. Kelly is getting married next year so we are all 3 looking for a great reason to change our lifestyle and also shed some pounds. I am looking forward to their support during this challenge. I’m sure I will post about it, so stay tuned!
I really enjoy looking back at my week. It helps me realize how truly blessed and fortunate I am. I have two wonderful families, a wonderful husband and I’m so happy where I have ended up!
Have a great weekend and remember: God is Good!
The Country Wife
Without a doubt, I always look forward to fall; mostly because of harvest. For those of you that don’t know, this time of year in Ohio is when farmers are harvesting the corn and soybeans in the fields. Tonight while helping the hubby, his brother and father, I got to play the role of taxi driver and food delivery girl. While I may not be skilled enough to drive the big trucks I can definitely help move vehicles and people around. After moving down to this part of Ohio I had to change my way of thinking when it came to harvest and dinner time.
When I was younger we would make what we considered “field friendly” meals. It could be anything from lasagna and bread to cheesy potatoes and meat loaf. Well down in this neck of the woods (or at least with the hub’s family) field friendly is lunch meat, chips and an apple. Occasionally the M-I-L will make a burger or some subs, but usually its nothing fancy. Tonight it was lunch meat warmed up on some burger buns…not my idea of a good meal. I am doing my best to adjust to this but sometimes I just want to tell them I’m bringing good food and they must stop for 10 minutes to eat. Maybe some day…
Well for tonight this is all I got. We just got home from an evening at the farm and its almost time for some Duck Dynasty! This show is by far a very entertaining one.
God Bless and have a great night!!
The Country Wife